Scratchy throat. Achy head. Uncontrollable sneezing. Or maybe you’re so stuffed up you’re spending your nights as a dreaded mouth breather.
Have I got the soup for you. It’s quick and easy and full of lots of natural remedies. So easy that even if you’re unsure of your ability to remain upright for more than a few minutes throwing this Feel Good Soup together in a big pot shouldn’t be any problem.
We’ve long heard that onions and garlic are chock full of compounds that mimic many over- the- counter cold medicines in that they dry out congested nasal passages and prevent mucus from building up. Spinach leaves provide your body with much needed vitamin C, potassium, and iron that help you feel like getting back to your old self.
And then there’s the bacon. I mean come on. Bacon cures a lot of what ails you. The fresh stuffed pasta can be your own choice of tortellini or ravioli. I use a chicken and bacon borsetti I always find in the deli section at Kroger. You can easily leave the pasta out and replace it with thinly sliced potatoes.
- 1-2 onions sliced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1-2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 6 slices of bacon cut into inch pieces
- 3 boxes of chicken stock/broth
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh stuffed pasta or thinly sliced potatoes (or both)
- Bag of baby spinach greens
- Heat olive oil in a heavy stock pot.
- Cook bacon, onions and mushrooms until bacon is nicely browned.
- If you are adding potatoes put them in at this time. Add garlic, salt and pepper, and chicken broth. Bring to a rolling boil.
- Once you can pierce the potatoes with a fork, add the fresh pasta and boil as long as recommended on the package. Stir in the fresh spinach greens. Serve with bread and butter.
Jeanetta is a crocheter & coffee addict, chicken keeper & goat wrangler, a farmer girl & maker of drunk jellies. You can find her online at www.jeanettadarley.com or on twitter, pinterest & instagram @jeanettadarley